Friday, May 8, 2015

Beloved (CRR)

 "And she will be-loved." That was clever don't you think? Anyways, I never thought books a difficult feat to read, no matter how hard. Until, Toni Morrison gave me a run for that money, because BELOVED has to be the worst book I have ever read. I hate superstitions, slavery, southern colloquialism, murder and especially ghosts.  Beloved has all of these elements, so you can the see the issue here.

This is the first book I haven't read in Lit class because I am not comfortable reading such gruesome, explicit details that scares the crap out of me. I did try the book, the first 10 pages,  it is such a dense text that I had to read it twice because most of the words used are not commonly used now.  The book is a walking apostrophe, you'd be reading about Baby Sugg's obsession with color to Sethe rutting the guy who made the hedge stones for Beloved.  The back and forth between past and present is unfamiliar to me  because Morrison doesn't warn you. You 'd be reading along and BOOM she throws it at you and you would not know which time period she 's writing about.

When I read the first page the only compliment I could muster was that Morrison was very intelligent, her sentences were structured so complexly that it became signatured. Meaning that that style of writing felt patented, it belonged to her only. I saw that visibly as I read it because I could not imitate it.

2 comments:

  1. Well the language becomes much easier to understand when you keep reading the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually enjoy the explicit description of events, and love the gruesomeness. It tells the raw truth. But i agree the back and forth in events is confusing. And could have been done a little better.

    ReplyDelete