Thursday, March 19, 2015

The Heart of D[ifficult]

     
" It seems to me I am trying to tell you a dream-- making a vain attempt, because no relation of a dream can convey the dream sensation, that commingling of absurdity, surprise, and bewilderment in a tremor of struggling revolt, that notion of being captured by the incredible which is of the very essence of a dream...." . ( Conrad, Pg 32).
              I thought Pride and Prejudice was a dense book until I read the first page of  "The Heart of Darkness". It's not that the book is boring, I actually find it interesting because Joseph Conrad is a spectacular writer! The quote above is from a page in the Heart of Darkness; that entire quote is basically saying that to tell a dream is a vain attempt because there is no way one can recapture that experience in a few mere words. Conrad says a dream is the incredible because it is a mystery. I believe that is the very essence of  dreams.
         What makes this text difficult to understand is that the reader is focused on word choice rather  than content. I can tell you everything that has passed in the novel, however, a deep analysis? I haven't the chance to think that deep. I have no opinion on Marlow's journey nor any characters, and everything I have conjectured is from the novel itself.  That is the error of most readers. I mean what is the purpose of reading -- if not comprehension?

1 comment:

  1. i feel the way umu. you expressed this in a very good way it was quite straight forward

    ReplyDelete